The Eagles went deep on the running back Thursday, claiming Trey Sermon off waivers from the 49ers and signing Le’Mical Perine to the practice squad.
Here’s what you need to know about the new Eagles.
Sermon was the 49ers’ third-round pick out of Ohio State in 2021.
• At 6-0, 215 pounds, the 23-year-old preacher played in nine games (two starts) in his rookie season. Preacher gained 167 yards on 41 carries (4.1 yards per carry) and scored one touchdown. Speech added three receptions for 26 yards.
• The preacher made his NFL debut last season when the 49ers traveled to Philadelphia to play the Eagles.
In 2020, his only season at Ohio State, Sermon gained 870 yards rushing and scored four touchdowns in eight games. He transferred from Oklahoma – where he was friends with quarterback Jalen Hurts – and appeared in 37 games (15 starts) in three seasons. He accounted for 2,076 yards on the ground and 22 touchdowns to go along with 36 catches for 391 yards and three touchdowns.
Sermon is the fourth running back on the active roster, joining Miles Sanders, Boston Scott, and Kenneth Gainwell.
La’Mical Perine is in his third NFL season after being drafted by the Jets in the fourth round of the 2020 NFL Draft.
• In 14 games over his first two seasons with the Jets, Perine had 263 yards and two touchdowns and caught 11 passes for another 63 yards.
• The Mobile, Alabama native is 24 years old and checks in at 5-foot-11, 216 pounds.
• Despite growing up in Alabama, Perine played football at SEC rival Florida where he rushed for 2,485 yards, eighth most in school history, and 22 touchdowns. He logged 674 more receiving yards and eight touchdowns. In three career bowl games, all wins, he averaged 9.0 yards per carry, including an MVP performance in the Orange Bowl where he had 182 all-purpose yards and three touchdowns in his final game. University.
• Has two cousins in the NFL – running back Samaje Perine and linebacker Myles Jack.
• Perine joins runner Kennedy Brooks on the practice squad.